Museums Aotearoa, Te Tari o Ngā Whare Taonga o Te Motu, is the independent professional association for New Zealand’s museums and galleries and those who work for them.
We support the museums of Aotearoa to be thriving and sustainable. Kia tino toitū, tōnu i ngā whare taonga o Aotearoa.
We do this by:
- advocating on behalf of members and the sector,
- nurturing excellence in professional practice,
- and extending manaakitanga toward our members.
Everything we do is underpinned by a commitment to the principles of Te Tiriti o Waitangi.
Museums Aotearoa values:
- people who work in the museums and galleries sector in New Zealand
- partnerships established by Te Tiriti o Waitangi
- engagement with communities in the care and management, research, and interpretation of their treasures and taonga
- shared ideas and resources in collaborative projects inside the sector and with other partners
- development of expertise, research, mātauranga Māori and scholarship
- exchange of knowledge enabling New Zealand museums and galleries to set a benchmark for exemplary professional museum practices and ethical principles
- Museums Aotearoa members and staff respect the MA Code of Ethics & Professional Practice (2013)
Executive Director - Phillipa Tocker
Membership Services Manager - Talei Langley
Director, Dunedin Public Art Gallery
Tryphena CracknellCurator Matauranga Māori, MTG Hawke's Bay
Curator Matauranga Māori, Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa
Director, Te Manawa
Director Collections, Research and Learning, Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa
Dion PeitaAuckland War Memorial Museum
Chief Executive, Waitangi National Trust
Director, The Dowse Art Museum
Emerging Museum Professionals appointee
Pacific Advisory member