Whether you have worked in the sector for several years already, or are completely brand new this group could be for you.
Emerging Museum Professionals NZ (EMPNZ) is a forum for young and/or emerging professionals working in New Zealand museums and galleries to connect, share and network with each other and others in the heritage sector. The group is based on a principle of peer support and collegiality with a view towards career development and professional growth within the sector. It operates with support from Museums Aotearoa (MA).
We have a central committee comprising representatives from each of the main regions in New Zealand, who organise regular networking events and encourage discussion and debate via our own “EMP” forum on the MA website. The goals of the group are:
- To maintain a network of like-minded individuals to share experiences, issues and ideas with others at the same level
- To provide a non-threatening, non-judgemental forum in which EMPs can feel comfortable raising concerns and questions relevant to them and receive advice and assistance from peers
- To foster a friendly, sociable environment that encourages professional networking and collegiality
- To promote, and encourage participation in, professional development opportunities
- To help increase the confidence and competence of those new to the museum profession
- To grow future leaders for the sector
- To encourage awareness of and membership to Museums Aotearoa
- To encourage and promote discussion and debate on culture and heritage-related topics
- To celebrate achievement
- To have fun!
There are no age restrictions or limits on joining this group, the only criteria being that you must be a member of MA or belong to a member organisation. Students and new graduates are welcome too.
So, if you identify as an emerging professional and would like more information on how you can get involved in the EMPNZ group, please email firstname.lastname@example.org