We provide leadership to raise the profile and performance of museums and galleries throughout the country.
Almost entirely funded by members fees, we work exclusively for our members.
Read our latest strategic plan
Ko te wawata - vision
Kia tino toitū, tōnui i ngā whare taonga o Aotearoa. Aotearoa New Zealand has thriving and sustainable museums.
Kaupapa mātāmua - our mission
Museums Aotearoa, Te Tari o Ngā Whare Taonga o Te Motu, is the independent professional association for New Zealand’s public museums and galleries and their staff and volunteers.
Our Mission is to support our members by:
- extending manaakitanga toward our members to help them achieve their full potential and facilitate a vibrant and sustainable museum and gallery sector
- collaborating with and supporting our members and their relationships with others across the Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums (GLAM)
- advocating on issues that are important to or may impact on our members and the wider GLAM sector in general
- nurturing excellence, professionalism and integrity in museums and galleries in Aotearoa.
We are a culturally affirming organisation promoting and supporting our members to uphold the principles of true partnership within Te Tiriti o Waitangi.
Ō matūa uara - our values
Everything we do is underpinned by a commitment to the principles of partnership envisaged by Te Tiriti o Waitangi.
Our core values are to:
- Tika/Act Ethically – act in a professional and ethical manner at all times in accordance with our Code of Ethics.
- Whanaungatanga/Be Connected – communicate and collaborate in a way that recognises the value and benefits of collaboration and partnerships between our members, their stakeholders and communities and the GLAM sector.
- Pono/Act with Integrity – act with integrity and treat others with respect, irrespective of their gender, position, cultural background or sexual preference.
Code of Ethics
Museums Aotearoa members and staff respect the Museums Aotearoa Code of Ethics & Professional Practice (2013).
Museums Aotearoa is an Incorporated Society, registered under the Incorporated Societies Act 1908. Our charity number is: CC32927.
View our Charities Summary - Charities Services website
Download the Constitution of Museums Aotearoa Te Tari o Ngā Whare Taonga o Te Motu