You can be an individual member of Museums Aotearoa with voting rights if you are employed/engaged by a museum or gallery, or support the work of Museums Aotearoa. You also need to follow our Code of Ethics.
Register or renew your individual membership
Upgrade to a voting individual member (PDF, 100KB)
Benefits of individual membership
Benefits of being an individual Museums Aotearoa member include:
- free or discounted entry to a range of Aotearoa-wide museums and galleries
- access to special interest groups (see our Networks in the main menu)
- regular e-news about Aotearoa museums and galleries, and notices about national and international events
- email advice of significant notices, including national and international jobs, funding, research opportunities and partnerships
- access to scholarships and awards, professional development and educational opportunities
- discounted rates to attend our annual conference and other events
- full Museums Aotearoa website access (including to member-only resources in our online repository)
- advocacy with the government and lobbying for the promotion of museums and galleries in the community
- eligibility for election to the Museums Aotearoa Board
- access to previous issues of Museums Aotearoa Quarterly and member-only articles and resources.
Terms of individual membership
Individual voting memberships are not transferable. Fees for individual membership vary based on whether you want to receive our flagship publication Museums Aotearoa Quarterly in hard copy or not.
If your workplace is a member of Museums Aotearoa you will have non-voting access free. You can take up voting ‘affiliated’ membership for a discounted additional fee.
Comparison of membership benefits
Individual members with voting rights pay for this type of membership and can choose whether to get printed copies of Museums Aotearoa publications or be electronic only members. You get discounted voting individual membership rates if you work for a current museum and gallery member.
Non-voting individual membership is free for all staff and active volunteers who work for current museum and gallery members.
|Individual membership benefit||Voting||Voting (Electronic only)||Non-voting|
|Regular e-news about New Zealand museums and galleries, and notices about national and international events||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Regular information about job, funding, and research opportunities, and partnerships with the national and international museum community||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Hard copies of Museums Aotearoa publications||Yes||No||No|
|Discounted rates to our annual Museums Aotearoa conference, and discounted advertising opportunities in our publications||Yes||Yes||No|
|Access to special interest groups (see our Networks in the main menu)||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Advocacy with the government and other stakeholders lobbying for the promotion of museums in the community||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Access to online content on the MA website for members only, including contact details for other individual members and select publications and resources||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Free or discounted entry into museums and galleries throughout New Zealand via the membership card scheme||Yes||Yes||No|
|Access to scholarships and awards, professional development and educational opportunities, including eligibility for NZ Museum Awards and Mina McKenzie Scholarship||Yes||Yes||No|
|One vote at Museums Aotearoa Board elections and General Meetings||Yes||Yes||No|
|Eligibility to be elected to Museums Aotearoa Board||Yes||Yes||No|