Nelson Provincial Museum
Nelson Provincial Museum’s purpose is to care for, strengthen and make widely accessible the taonga and heritage collections of Nelson/Tasman; and to create unforgettable experiences that stimulate awareness, celebrate diversity, excite action and entertain.
As the museum moves towards the construction of a new collection facility, the Archivist will ensure that the documentary heritage collection is move-ready by undertaking inventories, cataloguing, rationalisation and re-housing.
The Curator - Archives will oversee other key aspects of the collection including volunteer projects, digitisation, acquisitions, public programmes and cultural care. The role is expected to innovate storage and access solutions to fulfil contemporary research needs without compromising collections care.
The Curator - Archives will lead and manage the Archive team of staff and volunteers, plan and engage in other collection-based projects, Co-ordinate and manage internal and external enquiries and access requests, and provide research services and cultural access where required.
The ideal candidate will have:
- An awareness of Tikanga Maori and its implications for Collection Management practices; and understanding of Matauranga Maori in context with the effective management and access of collection records and documentation.
- A tertiary qualification in library science and/or archives management or equivalent experience.
- Proven ability in management and administration particularly in a museum, records storage, archive or special collection. Knowledge and experience in information retrieval in a research-oriented cultural or arts organisation advantageous.
- Prior collection move experience advantageous.
- Relevant knowledge of legal matters, including copyright and legal requirements for access, record retention and disposal as they relate to collections and records, policies, governing rights and reproductions.
- Relevant knowledge of preservation requirements, housing and security needs of collections.
- Experience and proven ability in carrying out appraisal, standard cataloguing, arranging and describing procedures including born digital material.
- Understanding of and experience in museum registration techniques and electronic collection management systems, knowledge of Vernon CMS advantageous.
- Excellent people skills and effective leader of volunteers
- A flexible and proactive approach to competing priorities.
- Ability to interpret the collections and communicate relevant knowledge
- Sufficient level of physical fitness to perform job safely (some heavy lifting may be required)
- This role requires a mandatory police vetting check in compliance with the Vulnerable Children's Act
If you’d like to be part of our passionate, forward-thinking team, the job description and application form are available on our website www.nelsonmuseum.co.nz/vacancies/
Please email your cover letter and CV to email@example.com