Porirua City Council
Pātaka Art and Museum is a world-renowned museum, art gallery, performance space and community hub located in the CDB of Porirua. As a local government organisation, Pātaka responds to our local community with strong Māori, Pacific and Aotearoa New Zealand focus art, culture and heritage programmes and performances.
All about the job
We are looking for an experience curator to lead a small team of curators to promote the understanding and enjoyment of Porirua's artistic and cultural heritage, including the natural environment by implementing the design and installation of a vigorous exhibition programme including the design and production of associated material.
You will be responsible for:
- management and leadership of the curatorial team
- researching, preparing and installing exhibitions of Māori, Pacific and New Zealand contemporary art, and Porirua social history
- planning and development of the annual exhibition programme and associated public programmes
- accessing loan items from other institutions and collectors for exhibition at Pātaka
- promotion of the gallery including seeking sponsorship assistance, working with the Pātaka Foundation
- hosting important visitors and generally relating to gallery visitors and the community to promote the interests of Pataka.
- liaising with community and art groups
- Attending exhibition openings in the main galleries and introduce guest speakers where appropriate.
All about you
It would be fabulous if you have, or are working towards, a tertiary qualification in museum studies, and have a passion for Porirua City. This is the role that will give you the opportunity to share Porirua's artistic and culture heritage with our community.
You'll need to show us that you:
- have excellent knowledge and experience of New Zealand art
- can develop creative and innovative approaches to exhibitions and public programmes
- can develop and maintain strong networks amongst artists, iwi, academic and cultural organisations
- have a high level of personal motivation and organisation skills
- can listen, question and give relevant, accurate information
- work effectively both as an individual and as a member of a team
- are familiar with budget preparation and working to budgets.
Experience the good life at Porirua City
Our city is changing and we need skilled people to help make that happen. Working for Porirua City is an opportunity for you to make a real difference in the community. You'll be welcomed into a team that's collaborative, values input and empowers you to make things happen. To top it off, the harbour and bush are at your doorstep; it's the perfect place to work.
To find out more about working for Porirua City watch this video
What you need to do now
Come and join our Pātaka Art and Museum team and be part of our welcoming and engaging environment. Please contact Ana Sciascia on 0272427242 for more information.
For a position description and to apply, please visit pcc.careercentre.net.nz