A number of activities are being held in Wellington in conjunction with the MA12 conference.
Tuesday 17 April
- Lighting for the Future - NSTP workshop, City Gallery Wellington
- Nga Taonga Tuku Iho - ARANZ symposium, Archives New Zealand
- WWI commemoration planning - digital working group meeting (invitation only)
- Was this Real New Zealand?, Jock Phillips - TelstraClear Museums Aotearoa Lecture, Te Papa
Thursday 19 April
- New Zealand Museum Awards - celebration dinner, City Gallery Wellington
Friday 20 April
- Admission Charges: the Issues - Wellington Museums Trust, Museum of Wellington City & Sea
TUESDAY 17 APRIL
9am - 4.30pm, City Gallery, Wellington
National Services Te Paerangi are hosting a workshop which will provide practical lighting examples drawn from the museum context and offer tools and techniques:
- Case study approach to link to the realities in your situation
- Overview of lighting principles in a museum environment
- Understanding the damage that all forms of lighting can do
- Initiating the lighting design and utilising your lighting resources
This workshop is for museum and gallery professionals who have over five years experience in the museum sector.
Nga Taonga Tuku Iho
8am - 4pm, Archives New Zealand, Wellington
Treasures passed down, focussing on Maori Archives & Records.
Please check the ARANZ website for more information, and to register.
WW1 commemoration planning
timing and venue TBA
Following the November 2011 planning meeting at Te Papa and subsequent liaison, a smaller 'digital working group' will be invited to meet in the afternoon of 17 April 2012. A broader meeting of all interested parties is to be convened later in the year.
Inaugural TelstraClear Museums Aotearoa Lecture
6.30pm-7.30pm, Soundings Theatre, Te Papa
TelstraClear Ltd has joined with Museums Aotearoa in the spirit of collaboration to launch the Museums Aotearoa Lecture.
The Lecture will offer an individual perspective on the current role of museums and art galleries in society, and the issues that role raises.
Further details can be found here.
This is a free event, please RSVP to us directly here.
THURSDAY 19 APRIL
New Zealand Museum Awards
7.15pm, City Gallery, Wellington
The annual celebration of the best and brightest in museums and galleries will be a gala dinner. For details about the Awards, please click here.
Admission Charges - the Issues
Breakfast, presentation and discussion
7.30-8.45am, Museum of Wellington City & Sea, Wellington
The Wellington Museums Trust invites you to a presentation on their recent research into admission charging amongst New Zealand museums, and attitudes to charging in Wellington through two surveys conducted in 2010 and 2011.
The 2010 survey sought information on the processes and the affects of charging or not charging amongst museums and other cultural/visitor attractions within New Zealand and the 2011 survey sought visitor and stakeholder opinions on charging admission to non Wellington residents to City Gallery Wellington and the Museum of Wellington City & Sea as well as attitudes to the introduction of a Wellington Attractions Card.
The session will start with a light breakfast at 7.30 am followed by the presentation and discussion starting at 8 am.
This is a free event, please RSVP to Museums Aotearoa here.