Join the EMPNZ
Whether you have worked in the sector for several years already, or are completely brand new, this group could be for you.
Emerging Museum Professionals NZ (EMPNZ) is a forum for young and/or emerging professionals working in New Zealand museums and galleries to connect, share and network with each other and others in the heritage sector.
The group is based on a principle of peer support and collegiality with a view towards career development and professional growth within the sector. It is led by a central committee of representatives from around New Zealand and operates with support from Museums Aotearoa.
What we do
We offer an annual Huakina in association with the annual Museums Aotearoa conference. Every Huakina includes a full 1-2 day programme of speakers and workshops and is coordinated by local EMPs in that region.
As a member, you can expect to receive monthly e-newsletters with information about EMP activities.
The goals of the group are to:
- maintain a network of like-minded individuals to share experiences, issues and ideas with others at the same level
- provide a non-threatening, non-judgemental forum in which EMPs can feel comfortable raising concerns and questions relevant to them and receive advice and assistance from peers
- foster a friendly, sociable environment that encourages professional networking and collegiality
- promote, and encourage participation in, professional development opportunities
- help increase the confidence and competence of those new to the museum profession
- encourage and promote discussion and debate on culture and heritage-related topics
- grow future leaders for the sector and encourage awareness of and membership to Museums Aotearoa
- celebrate achievements and have fun!
Current committee members
- Louisa Hormann - Museums Aotearoa EMP Board Rep
- Jessie Bray Sharpin - Chair
- Jessie Flannery - Secretary
- Beckie Jones - Communications Representative
- Airi Hashimoto - Communications Representative
There are no age restrictions or limits on joining this group but you must be a member of Museums Aotearoa or belong to a member organisation.
Students and new graduates are welcome too.
Join our network or contact us
If you identify as an emerging sector professional and would like more information on how you can get involved in the EMPNZ group, please email firstname.lastname@example.org