COVID-19 info for museums and galleries
Links to resources and information to support you through the COVID-19 pandemic and recovery.
We support all our members and their whānau as we all work through the challenges of this evolving global pandemic. Our first priority is our people - staff, volunteers, visitors and the wider community.
Log in as a member to see the full range of resources available on this page.
Page last updated 12 August 2020.
We are actively advocating for the museum and gallery sector as we face the impact of the pandemic on revenue and budgets as well as activities.
- Regular meetings being held with Manatū Taonga, Ministry for Culture & Heritage officials (currently weekly)
- Letter to Ministers for Arts, Culture & Heritage (12 June 2020) and Response from PM Jacinda Ardern (21 July 2020)
- Surveys gathering data on level of pandemic impact to support call for financial assistance and targeting funds
- Friday 7 August, 1-2pm Born Digital Collecting
- Friday 17 July, 1-2pm Visitors: what, who and when?
- Friday 3 July, 1-2pm Marketing in COVID-19 Alert Level 1
- Friday 19 June, 1-2pm Digital Opportunities
- Friday 12 June, 1-2pm Funding
- Friday 5 June, 1-2pm Innovations in Public Programming
- Friday 29 May, 1-2pm Front of House - the reality of reopening at Level 2
- Friday 22 May, 3-4.30pm Running the COVID Marathon - mental health and wellbeing in times of crisis
- Friday 15 May, 1-2pm Lunchtime kaitiaki kōrero
- Friday 8 May, 3-4pm - Zoom hui: Re-opening - what can you do at Level 2?
Where available, YouTube videos of these events are available in our publications and resources library.
Status of MA member activities
- MA20 Waitangi conference - postponed until 5-7 May 2021 (TBC). We will be communicating directly with delegates and presenters.
- 2020 ServiceIQ NZ Museum Awards - deferred to 2021.
- EMP meet-ups - cancelled
- Kahui Kaitiaki - May hui cancelled, October hui on hold
- AGM - postponed, new arrangements tba (8 July 2020)
You can read about the government's COVID-19 economic response package on the Treasury website.
For funds specific to the museums, gallery and heritage sector see our funding and grants page.
Aotearoa resources and information
Resources specific to Alert Levels.
Alert Level 1
Alert Level 2
Alert Level 4
Relevant Aotearoa websites
Links to COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) advice and resources on Aotearoa websites.
- Manatū Taonga, Ministry for Culture and Heritage
- Ministry of Health Manatū Hauora
- Ministry of Education Te Tāhuhu o te Mātauranga
- Work and Income He Hiranga Tangata
- Tourism Industry Aotearoa
- Go with Tourism
- Mental Health Foundation Mauri Tū, Maori Ora
- Charity Services Ngā Ratonga Kaupapa Atawhai
- DIA Local Government COVID-19 Response Unit (including analysis of financial implications)
- Creative New Zealand
- CERT NZ guidance on COVID-19 related scams
- SiteSafe Te Kaitiaki o Haumaru
Contact tracing tools
- NZ COVID Tracer App - Ministry of Health website
- CHECKIN-19 - Checkin website
- Simple Trace - Simple Trace website
- Rippl - Paperkite website
- SignIn - SignIn website
Impact on the sector
Reports on the impacts of COVID-19 on the museum, gallery and heritage sector.
- Local Government Sector COVID-19 Financial Implications Report 1 Initial Analysis - DIA website (PDF, 1MB)
- Local Government Sector COVID-19 Financial Implications Report 2 – Alert Level Scenarios, Assumptions and Updated Analysis - DIA website (PDF, 953KB)
- Impact of Covid-19 on the Arts and Creative Sector
- Caring for heritage collections during the COVID-19 Pandemic - Government of Canada website
- Preparing for re-opening - American Alliance of Museums website
- Tools for identifying risks, monitoring Impacts, assessing needs - International Centre for the Study of the Preservation and Restoration of Cultural Property website
- When will audiences be ready to return to museums? Infographic - Wilkening Consulting website
- Closed by COVID-19 - Checklist for GLAMs and Historical and Heritage Sites - Blue Shield Australia and AICCM website
- Workplace information - American Alliance of Museums website
- Ethics of contemporary collecting - UK Museums Association website
- Public Health Emergencies (including collection care) - COSTEP MA website
- Resources pages - American Alliance of Museums website
- Museum distance learning - American Alliance of Museums website
- Cuseum webinars on museum topics - Cuseum website
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic - World Health Organisation website
- Disinfecting cultural resources technical guidance - National Centre for Technology Preservation and Training website