Visitor Host Team Leader l Kaiwhakahaere Manaaki Manuhiri
Te Uru Waitakere Contemporary Gallery
We are seeking a highly motivated Visitor Host – Team Leader to lead and support the delivery of outstanding customer service at our gallery, enabling our visitors to enjoy and explore our world class facility and the services it offers.
Te Uru is a regional gallery locally rooted in Titirangi, West Auckland but globally minded. As a destination gallery that opened in 2014 as part of the refurbished Lopdell Precinct, our relatively new home offers world-class, purpose-built facilities, including five gallery spaces spread over three floors. Our mission is to provide contemporary visual arts and design experiences in Waitakere that inspire, engage and challenge. We recognise Maori as Tangata Whenua and foster the principles of Te Tiriti O Waitangi internally and externally to enhance and develop our programmes.
This is a full time, front line position worked either from Sunday to Thursday or Tuesday to Saturday.
This position would suit someone with substantial experience of working in a front-of-house role, preferably including experience of working in a line management capacity in a significant visitor destination gallery. The Visitor Host Team leader will report directly to the Director and work alongside the Education Manager, Curator, Exhibitions & Facilities Manager and Business Services Manager to ensure a consistent and seamless service and clear communication and information to all our visitors.
The successful candidate will be driven by a commitment to lead and motivate the Visitor Host team to the highest standards of customer service and to ensure effective daily management of all front of house activities. They will have a passion for ensuring that service standards are maintained and service culture is one of continuous improvement.
This is an exceptional opportunity for the successful applicant to join our small and dedicated team at a pivotal stage of the organisation’s evolution.
The successful candidate will possess the following competencies:
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully with a wide range of people from a wide range of cultures and a sincere commitment to furthering the principles of biculturalism in Aotearoa New Zealand.
- Demonstrated experience to lead a team, able to organise and motivate a front of house team and engender a sense of teamwork and common purpose, with a collaborative approach and as an effective team member.
- Ability to demonstrate clear thinking and to be solutions focussed, remaining calm and confident in dealing with stressful or emergency situations. Able to handle visitor complaints with ease and authority.
- Clear understanding of the operating environment of a contemporary art gallery, understanding policies and processes relevant to the position.
- Demonstrated experience in retail sales with a good working knowledge of stock control, procurement, point of sale management and reconciliations.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to deal effectively and confidently at all levels – internally across all departments, with all external contacts and every Gallery visitor.
- Demonstrated experience with and an understanding of health and safety and security standards as they apply to a large public venue.
And will need to share our guiding values:
This is an exciting and unique opportunity for someone who is an experienced leader, a mentor experienced in the training, performance and development of staff, with a specific passion for the arts, and the shared vision to position Te Uru as a pre-eminent regional art gallery.
HOW TO APPLY
For a full position description, please email: Emmy Seccombe, firstname.lastname@example.org