Museums Aotearoa, Te Tari o Ngā Whare Taonga o Te Motu, is the independent professional association for New Zealand’s museums and galleries and those who work for them.
We support the museums of Aotearoa to be thriving and sustainable. Kia tino toitū, tōnu i ngā whare taonga o Aotearoa.
We do this by:
- advocating on behalf of members and the sector,
- nurturing excellence in professional practice,
- and extending manaakitanga toward our members.
Everything we do is underpinned by a commitment to the principles of Te Tiriti o Waitangi.
Museums Aotearoa values:
- people who work in the museums and galleries sector in New Zealand
- partnerships established by Te Tiriti o Waitangi
- engagement with communities in the care and management, research, and interpretation of their treasures and taonga
- shared ideas and resources in collaborative projects inside the sector and with other partners
- development of expertise, research, mātauranga Māori and scholarship
- exchange of knowledge enabling New Zealand museums and galleries to set a benchmark for exemplary professional museum practices and ethical principles
- Museums Aotearoa members and staff respect the MA Code of Ethics & Professional Practice (2013)
Executive Director - Phillipa Tocker - Phillipa@museumsaotearoa.org.nz
Administration Manager - Rachel Nankivell
For membership enquiries, to advertise jobs and for other general enquiries, please contact Rachel@museumsaotearoa.org.nz
Communications & Events Manager - Mo Farrell
For inclusion in News& Notices, MAQuarterly, media requests and other communications and events enquiries, please contact Mo@museumsaotearao.org.nz
Emerging Museum Professionals appointee
Kaitiaki Ika Tauhou nominee
Pacific Advisory member
Next Museums Aotearoa Board meeting: November 2019 (date TBC), Waikato
Last Meeting: 20 August 2019, including a strategic planning workshop.